Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th

Happy Friday!

Before I went to work today, I heard Tony Zazza on Mix 102.9 complaining about how he got ratted out. He didn't want to drive to work on Friday the 13th. Last Friday the 13th, on his way home he had a flat tire. He figured he would just try to dodge the bad luck on the road and just not come to work. His co-worker called his boss and made a big deal about it. Tony had butterflies in his stomach when he went to work this morning. He said he was knocking on wood. I felt like calling him or writing him, and I may still. Knock on wood has a pagan background to it. God calls us to have faith in Him alone. A source of his fear could very well be misplaced faith. Perfect love casts out all fear.

I wish I could say I kept my cool while driving to work today. Well, if you take the word cool literally, that would be quite an accomplishment considering the temperatures and the fact I have to run my heater so my engine doesn't get damaged. But, I lost my cool when someone squeezed me out while I was trying to merge into traffic getting on the highway causing me to have to come to a almost complete stop and fall behind the person squeezing me out.

People on the roads these days are quite self centered in too many cases. I try very hard to be courteous and let people in when they are merging. I know that it is only hurting me to be upset with other peoples lack of courtesy. I will not give into this. Being angry certainly doesn't change their behavior on the road positively. I experience things over and again that really hack me off on the road. One of the things that I see people do over and again that is so aggravating is as I am entering the highway, they cross the solid line behind me and block the lane I need as I am trying to enter the highway. I am entering the highway at a good speed to. Someone even went out of turn at the stop four way stop sign today. It really aggravated me.

I remind myself of my own faith. I remind myself to remain calm, to not get aggravated by others poor driving habits. I have made my own mistakes. I remind myself to have faith and to forgive others for their mistakes. I remind myself to not be "staring daggers" at these people that cut me off on the road. I have learned the most effective way to deal with road rage is to pour out love. To open myself up as a channel of love. It is simply amazing the results I see when I apply this concept. It takes discipline though. The results are amazing.

1Co 13:13 - Show Context
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

No comments: